Monday, December 7, 2009

The worst week to be a metalhead...

In just a matter of days, we as metalheads will mark the passing of 3 very influential figures in the metal scene. Today is the 1 year anniversary of the passing of metal journalist supreme, Adrian Bromley. Known by many as 'the Energizer' or Mister Pink Bunny' for his unending enthusiasm and energy towards all things metal, Adrian left us far too soon, and his presence, not just in the Toronto scene but worldwide through his writing is sorely missed. Both Unrestrained! and Metal Maniacs have folded since his death. I never met the man, though I did exchange a couple emails with him once about him possibly buying some vinyl off me. Never happened, but I was always a great admirer of his writing. The man lived and breathed metal in a manner few ever have. RIP, Adrian.

Tomorrow is even tougher, as it marks the 5 year anniversary of the assassination of Dimebag Darrell Abbott, while performing on stage with Damageplan. I still tear up when I try to comprehend this happening. How could it have happened? 5 years later, we all still search for something that will help it make sense to us. Dime left a musical legacy that few can touch, he truly was an amazing guitarist. Say what you will about Pantera, Dime lived to play and party and he did both very, very well.

Later in the week is the anniversary of the passing of another fallen metal brother, Chuck Schuldiner of Death. More on that when we get closer to the date. Going to take some time to zazz up this blog a bit, get some links to sites way better than mine, etc. It's a work in progress as I basically start from nothing again. But I will say it feels good to be writing again, even if it's for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment